We were contracted by Multiplex in 2015 to supply and install loose furniture for 1,250 bedrooms and multiple communal areas in this prestigious central London new-build student accommodation project completed in 2016. Our work was scheduled to start at the end of March with completion at the beginning of September, although construction overruns meant that our 5-month installation programme started was compressed to just 8 weeks.
We have a long-standing relationship with UPP, the client for this development, and worked closely with UPP’s project and design team over the course of almost a year prior to installation to source and develop many new items for Garden Halls, as well as select competitively priced alternative items in keeping with the architect’s concept but at a lower price or higher performance.
Project highlights include:
- An extremely challenging project with a severely compressed and compromised installation programme due to significant delays in construction
- We sourced or developed from scratch around 150 products, including key upholstery items, dining tables and dining chairs
- We furnished 1,250 bedrooms, 25 townhouse/cluster kitchens and living rooms, and 17 communal areas with loose furniture including a red phone box with photobooth inside!
- At peak activity, we had more than 20 installers on site – many working through the night – to catch up against installation plan and meet the student intake date
- As this was a live construction site, all our installers were required to be suitably trained and certificated